Friday 19 August 2011

August 19, 2011 Chautauqua



From the Editor's Computer

   Do you believe in magic?  I don’t mean the parlour tricks 
performed by illusionists, rather the old magic by wizards and sorcerers.

   I can hear many of you saying, “Of course not!  It’s all hocus-pocus!”  Granted, our world and society have come a long way from those dark superstitious days when everyone believed in magic and its effect on everyday life.  Our world and society are much more pragmatic and logical.  Science has explained so much of the previously unexplainable, taking the fear and mystery out of much of life.

   So, we don’t believe in magic.  Really?  Are you sure?

   I think that the vast majority of the world’s citizens still do believe in magic spells and conjuring by sorcerers. 

   I can’t tell you the number of people I speak to who fall for the magic spell called Daylight Savings Time and believe that we literally gain or lose an hour through the year - 24 hours to 25 hours to 24 hours.

   Or, how about the people who are so mesmerized by the wizardry of the Stock Market that they believe it literally determines the outcome of minute details in their daily lives.  I’m not referring to the wizards working in the market, but rather the average citizen who may, or may not, even own stocks or mutual funds.

   Lastly, don’t we all still believe that the magic potion called “Might is Right” will work, even though we have almost an eternity of evidence to the contrary?  The events in Norway and London are examples of the use of this potion, which is also called “Violence is the Only Answer.”

   When you set out to destroy someone because you fear what they represent, or fear that they will destroy you (or your way of life), you don’t make the world a better place...you just make yourself into a destroyer

   I freely admit I don’t get along with everyone I encounter, however I don’t wish those people ill or dead.  Rather, I wish them all the happiness and prosperity they can handle...I just prefer they enjoy it somewhere else far away from me!

   The world won’t get better until we start believing in the magic of hope, peace, justice and kindness, and act like we believe it!             

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ve23AO3G8eXhEjk8OjA_F1yw1rIQMU6v/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.