Friday 20 January 2017

January 20, 2017 Chautauqua




Beth's Ponderings

   15 years...WOW!

   I have a small confession to make...while I am a voracious reader of books and magazines, and while I know there is a wealth of interesting information published on newsprint, I am not really a newspaper reader or fan.  I will skim though the headlines of the Red Deer Advocate, and breeze through the Bashaw Star, and occasionally I will even read an article, but by and large, if there is something of interest, usually someone else has to point it out to me before I’ll read it.  

   So, in a way it is not only ironic that I have published a newspaper for 15 years, but that I was even given the opportunity in the first place, AND that I accepted it!

   In December of 2001, as I had some free time opening up in my life, I offered to help Linda Van Ringen - editor of the newspaper which was then called Chautauqua News.  She countered with the offer for me to take over the newspaper.  Definitely NOT what I had in mind at all.  She gave me a week to think about it, and I hung up the phone and started dancing around the room in excitement.  I had no idea why the idea appealed to me, how I was going to accomplish it, or what the future had in store, and I had a short deadline to get my first issue of The Chautauqua out in mid-January 2002.

   Fifteen years later I still can’t really say why the paper appeals to me so much, only that it is a not only a unique creative outlet, but also a creative challenge as I strive to make it something that even I would enjoy reading, and I hope that you enjoy too.

   And to add to the challenge there are still some days when I have no idea how I will accomplish getting an issue together and distributed - whether it’s been due to technological troubles, quickly learning a new skill, or my health situation, I could not have managed without my friends and various helpers through the years.

   Lastly, I don’t know what the future has in store, but I hope to be around as long as I can.  I sincerely thank you all for your support - without your submissions, and willingness to continue reading The Chautauqua ,I wouldn’t be able to keep doing this.  Thank you so much!

Beth


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua