Friday 1 December 2017

December 1, 2017 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   Sigh, it seems there are some misconceptions and rumours floating around about me that I  need to clarify.

   First, I have not quit the newspaper.  Which should be obvious as I am still the contact person, and I still write a blurb for this spot every issue. 

   That said, I have had to make changes in how I go about putting the paper together, and, the biggest change of all, is that I have had to get help with the twice-monthly deliveries as I am just not able to handle the physical effort on my own.  Even though I have had help, I have been along on every trip, in the car, giving directions.

   Unfortunately it doesn’t look like this situation will be changing any time soon, and, as I can’t always find someone available to spend the day with me, I can’t guarantee that I’ll always be able to get the print issues out to the communities in a timely manner.  The paper will be available online for sure.

   Second, I AM getting better, but “getting better” does not mean that I am cured, totally healthy, or that life is now back to normal.  FAR FROM IT!  All “getting better: means at this point in my life is that I am not loudly knocking on death’s door any more.  Thank goodness!  I still need loads of rest, I still need help doing things, and I am not supposed to have any stress - though I still haven’t figured out how to get around that one as just having a chronic illness is stressful enough, besides the stresses that result from not being able to do what you want, or need to do each day.

   I was told that I have been like a gas tank that is so empty and dry there aren’t even any fumes in there.  When I rest, and manage to get replenished, I act like I have a full tank, when in reality I may only have a few drops of gas, which are quickly used up.  Until I can get my tank filled up again, I am going to be limited as to what I can do on my own.

   Third, just because I am smiling doesn’t mean that everything is sunshine and roses in my life, because it is NOT!  I smile, because I am at heart basically a very happy person, and because smiling is the one thing I can do that doesn’t stress me out, or exhaust me within 10 or 15 minutes.  While there may be a smile on my face, the tears are a mere blink away and can fall at any time - and they do fall.


   My life changed in the past 5 years, and nothing is the same.

Beth


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua