Friday 7 September 2018

September 7, 2018 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   I don’t know about you, but I’m just not a very flexible person physically.  While I can remember as a child being able to touch my big toe to my nose, the truth is that when I started attending yoga classes in my mid-20s I could not bend over and touch my toes.  In fact, I thought it pretty amazing that I could bend over and touch my knees!

   Needless to say, I have not passed a basic flexibility test in ages.  Even now, despite doing yoga for years, I am not really a lot more flexible than I was that first class - though I can touch my toes now (well, if I bend my knees a bit).

   So, I was intrigued when I recently heard a person describe body flexibility as nothing more than “energy extending out.”  She went on to say that everybody, and every BODY, is flexible.

   The example she gave was a yawn.  We all yawn, and more often than not, we do a little stretch when we yawn, but even if we didn’t, we are extending our jaws in the yawn, and thus extending energy outward.

   So, okay, that’s one flexibility test even I can pass.

   Other examples she gave included spreading our fingers, reaching out with our arms, lifting our feet up while sitting, and then more complex examples involving moving our bodies more.  Yet, not one example included touching your toes, or other body contortion.

   The contrast to flexibility is when we hold ourselves, and our limbs, tight to our body.  This posture can be seen most readily when we are hunched over a keyboard or other electronic devise.

   While there are times when it is healthy, and safe, for our bodies to be in a tight position, it isn’t healthy if that is the ONLY position we place our bodies in.  Our bodies tell us - even if just with a big yawn - that they want to move and expand.


   More than just the ability to touch our toes, we all need a flexibility based on extending our energy out and allowing ourselves to really take up the space we are in, because a flexible body makes it much easier to experience a flexible mind, heart, and outlook.

Beth 


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua