Friday 19 April 2019

April 19, 2019 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   I have a quirk - and I’m sure it’s not my only one - I cannot see cobwebs, especially when they are indoors.  No matter how many times they are pointed out to me, or how many times I unknowingly walk through one, I simply cannot see them.

   But, just because a quirk with my eyes doesn’t let me see the cobwebs, doesn’t mean they aren’t really there.

   Not long ago I read a book about how our whole concept of our history has been overturned because early archaeologists and anthropologists “didn’t see” what was right in front them.  They were so sure that the “evidence” they uncovered pointed in a certain direction that they did everything they could - short of standing on their heads - to make it fit into their concept of what they “thought” our history “should” be.  And, they were wrong.

   We’ve been taught in schools (in a nutshell) that our Neolithic ancestors from approximately 12,000 years ago were ignorant, brutal barbarians who had no culture, and yet somehow managed to figure out how to farm, despite constantly fighting and killing each other.

   What the archaeological evidence actually shows is that our Neolithic ancestors were very peaceful cooperative people who were socially, culturally, and artistically MORE advanced than we are today, even with all of our technological advances.

   Due to massive earthquakes, and other resulting natural disasters, approximately 5,000 years ago, that way of life was dramatically changed and, for all intents and purposes, lost. We only get the occasional glimpse of it in some ancient myth or writing, yet we know it exists because we are trying to return to it every time we try to bring more peace and more beauty to our lives.  It was also at that same time period that the evidence of weapons of war and mass killings first appear.   


   While I can’t see cobwebs normally, I CAN see them when the sunlight glints of water droplets on the strands of the web.  It is possible for us all to see what we need to see in our lives, if the conditions are right, and we don’t prejudge what we think our reality should be.

Beth 


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua