Friday 4 October 2019

October 4, 2019 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   Previously, I mentioned that I had a bumper crop of peas this year.  Plus I discovered I had lots of HUGE carrots - never before have carrots grown that large in our garden space!

   Some things were really delayed.  My raspberries just started a little over three weeks ago, and while there weren’t a lot, I still managed to pick enough to enjoy by the handful.

   But, not all was successful this year.  My Sweet Peas didn’t even break through the ground.  But even more disappointing, my melons - two watermelon and a cantaloupe - really struggled all season.


  One watermelon plant completely died, and the other bloomed two days before the weather turned colder.  But, the cantaloupe surprised me.  It bloomed around the Labour Day long weekend, and produced - in the space of one very hot and sunny week - a golf ball sized melon.  The next - also rather hot and sunny - week it grew to tennis ball-size!  When I picked it September 25, I really didn’t expect much, yet it was ripe and, though basically only 4 bites, was delightfully tasty.

Beth


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua