Friday 16 October 2020

October 16, 2020 Chautauqua



Beth's Ponderings

   I was recently listening to an online workshop for writers, and one of the tips they gave was that writers should “cross-train,” meaning that writers should take up dancing or painting or playing a musical instrument or other creative activity to help enrich their writing.

   My initial thought when I heard that was, 1. why do we need to label it cross-training, and 2. a good writer is usually very creative in other areas so shouldn’t need to be told to add more creativity to their lives.

   As a society we have swung the pendulum so far to the extreme that we not only have to label everything and everyone, but we have to “specialize” in whatever our interests are. 

   Now there are, hard to believe, people out there who love to be put in a specific box.  I think it’s because they then have a really good excuse for not trying anything new, or doing something that would cause them to feel like a beginner.  “Oh, I can’t paint, because I’m a writer.”  Or, “I’m sorry, I’m an artist, I don’t dance.”

   How silly!  We are humans, which means we’re curious, we’re attracted to new experiences (even if, or because, they are a bit scary), and we like to try/do lots of different things. 

   We all know how monotonous life can get if we have to do the same task over and over and over again.  So why do we think that our creative expressions have to be in only one form?

   Now, I am someone who resists labels and being put in a specific box.  I don’t even really like the labels multi-faceted or multi-disciplinary as they still are limiting people in a way.  I am a human with many interests, and many ways of expressing those interests - which shouldn’t make me different from the norm, but means I AM the norm, as that describes all of us.

   We’ve all, at some point, seen young children playing.  Unless, an adult interferes, they are all over the place - running, skipping, singing, drawing, acting, painting, exploring, and more.  We need to stop labelling ourselves and reclaim that child-like freedom of expression.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IAeUA1phijZ4hPbBKNfuG3jxHDbx59hE/view?usp=sharing

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua