Friday 1 March 2024

March 1, 2024 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Have you ever heard the expression, “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach?”

   Usually it’s trotted out when someone has eaten more than they should have, or hasn’t eaten everything on their plate (for those of us of the age where that was strictly enforced)

   I recently learnt that there is a lot of truth to that statement!

   In 2022, I started taking an introductory course in Ayurveda, the ancient system of health and healing from India.  Ayurveda emphasises natural foods and remedies to balance your body and restore health.

   Because it is an introductory course, it doesn’t go deeply into the doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) but provides basic practices that would benefit anyone and everyone in terms of digestion, vitality and sleep.

   I made it halfway through the course in 2022, and then had to set it aside.  This year, I returned to the course, starting from the beginning.

   As digestion is an area of concern for me - all my health concerns seem to relate to that pillar - I decided to start there. 

   I was quite surprised to discover that according to Ayurveda, the amount of food you should be eating in any one sitting (your “personal portion size”) is NO MORE than the amount of food you can hold in your two hands when cupped like a bowl.  That bowl shape equals the size of your stomach.

   According to Ayurveda much of the stress our body experiences is because we (especially in North America) overload our stomachs when we eat and that doesn’t allow for proper digestion to occur. 

   I scooped some dry cereal into my cupped hands and measured it out.  I was SHOCKED that it was ONLY 3/4 cup!!!!!  As someone who is used to eating a LOT more than that at every meal, I didn’t think I’d be able to survive on only 3/4 cup of food for each meal (you can eat more meals, leaving at least 2 hours in between to allow for digestion) so I was quite surprised that I felt full enough and didn’t need to eat more.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IxSqVXPdA1p1efJeE4RSX8Bpxt1z4CXl/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 22 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

And, if you are looking for a unique gift idea, please visit: https://thechautauquanewspaper.blogspot.com/p/products-for-sale.html

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua