Friday 18 September 2015

September 18, 2015 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings
 
   The other night on the news a lovely 103 year old woman was interviewed.  Now, honestly, if I was asked to guess her age, I’d have put her no more than 75 years old.  While she did possess some wrinkles, her infectious smile was youthful as she literally skipped and danced her way into the room.


   Naturally, the big question asked of her was what was her secret to her longevity.  Her reply was that she keeps her heart happy.


   She’s not the first to say that, and I’m sure she won’t be the last.  When long-time comedian George Burns was asked how he was able to live so long - and remember he smoke, drank and had other so–called “bad health habits” - he too replied that he did what he loved.


   So the secret to living a long and happy life isn’t really a secret.  We all know that we should be doing more of what we love, more of what truly “makes our hearts happy.”


   But……………………


   Ah, there is the sticking point.  The “but.”


   I would, but……
         I’m too old               
         I’m too young
         I’m too poor
         I don’t have enough education
         I’m too set in my ways
         I’m too tired
         I’m too lonely
         I’m too scared
         It’s too late


   List all the things that make your heart happy and see how many are NOT currently part of your life.  As soon as you do that, your mind will automatically start saying to you, “Yes, but…”


   Are the “yes, but’s” real, misperceptions of your reality, or are they something you (or someone else) has imposed through expectation?


   Deal with the “buts,” and you can make your heart happy.   


Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yz37EwT3H1-gKg3pEyovbqsaXhUHJENW/view?usp=sharing

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua