Friday 6 September 2019

September 6, 2019 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   There is a story that one day a young girl was watching her mother prepare a roast for their supper.  The mother cut both ends off the roast before putting in pan, and then placed it in the oven.  The young girl asked her mother why she cut the ends off the roast, and her mother replied because that was what her mother did.

   Curious, the mother called her mother and asked her why she always cut the ends off the roast, only to be told that’s what her mother had done.

   So, the mother called her grandmother and her grandmother told her she cut the ends off because as a newlywed she didn’t have a big enough roast pan to fit the size of roasts she cooked!

   Too often we continue traditions that, quite honestly, should never have reached tradition status, but did, because, while there was originally a good reason for doing something a certain way, the reason was lost when the next generation took over the task.


   I was taught peas HAD to be blanched before freezing.  As this summer was so cool and wet overall, my peas produced abundantly and I gave away most as I believed I wouldn’t be freezing any, because I wasn’t able to blanch them for reasons beyond my control. I did experiment with pickling some.  Imagine my delight when I discovered peas -  or any vegetable really - don’t need blanched as our food preservation methods and technology have improved since the days of old!

Beth 


Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua