Friday 6 November 2020

November 6, 2020 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

      Ever forget how to spell a word?  Not just any word, but a really simple common word?

   That happened to me the other day.  I can’t remember now what the word was, but I can tell you it had less than 6 letters, and was one I tend to use a lot, but at the moment I needed it, I could not remember how it was spelt at all!

   When that would happen to me as a child, my mom would always tell me to just go look it up in the dictionary, which used to bug me to no end, because if I knew how to spell the word enough to look it up, I wouldn’t need to look it up! 

   Sounding out the word didn’t always help either.  I confess, that in high school once I completely blanked on how to spell “is” and sounding it out SHOULD have worked to help me figure it out, but it didn’t.  Ever try getting a school teacher to tell you how to spell “is” - trust me, it’s pretty much impossible because they don’t believe you!

   Thankfully, we have technology now that will tell you how to spell a word when you speak to it, and it doesn’t care that you can’t spell the word, or tell you to go look it up.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ffbVNgSn1F-L1HKsfabERSU-leHEFiZU/view?usp=sharing

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua