Friday 6 August 2021

August 6, 2021 Chautauqua


Beth's Ponderings

   Despite being a very avid reader most of my life, I did not read J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” till I was an adult in my mid-twenties, and “had to” for my university Children’s Literature class. 

   In truth, it was a book I had wanted to read for years, but never seemed to get around to until I had no choice.  In fact, there were quite a few books in that course that I finally got around to reading because my grades depended on it!

   After reading “The Hobbit,” I planned to read the “Lord of the Rings” books, but life seemed to happen, and I never got around to it.  I even ordered the books for the library at one point, so had no excuse as they were readily available.

   I did see both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies, and that reminded me of my goal to read the books, though I felt I needed to read “The Hobbit” again first, to familiarize myself with the storyline again, as it had been so long since I had read it the first time.

   Three years ago, I even pulled out my copy of “The Hobbit” to read, and again life intervened - plus, they aren’t books that you can just skim through when you are feeling tired and just want something to read, like fluffy Harlequin novels!

   Well, I am finally getting around to the books!  At the time of this writing, I just finished reading “The Hobbit” and I just started reading the first Lord of the Rings book.  I should (finger crossed) have them read by the end of the summer!

Beth 

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fbHs7Z2IzV8O8ZnuEx0XuZLDEahgUeCR/view?usp=sharing

   Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue over 19 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available: 

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua