Friday 6 October 2023

October 6, 2023 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Considering how crazy our spring and summer were, I was pleased with how well my garden produced this year.  Could it have been better, sure, but it could have also been much worse.

   I wasn’t able to keep on top of my edible weeds, or even the other weeds for that matter.  And, while it gave my garden a rather unkempt appearance, I did discover that there was a benefit to those weeds.

   First off, many of my plants actually grew better, and produced more, where I didn’t get the weeds removed from around them.  Part of that is probably because the weeds acted like a form of mulch and kept the moisture in.

   Also, I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where so I could find it again) that plants growing wild, such as weeds, are growing in that particular spot because the soil needs whatever the plant can give it, because plants give to the soil as well as take nutrients from it.  Thus, by removing the weeds, we are depriving the soil of what it really needs.

   Which brings me to another thought.  How many times have you thought that you wanted something in particular, or wanted a specific set of circumstances, only to find out that it wasn’t beneficial at all?

    The opposite is true too.  I know I have fought long and hard against doing something only to find out when I finally gave up and did it, it produced the exact outcome I wanted all along, but I didn’t realize that was the path to achieve it.  Sometimes what we reject, we really need.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18nQt954uUJetAWqaus69K9fm8lwXV6_K/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 21 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

And, if you are looking for a unique gift idea, please visit: https://thechautauquanewspaper.blogspot.com/p/products-for-sale.html

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua