Friday 17 November 2023

November 17, 2023 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Last month, I watched an online interview and one of the comments made was that it is very easy to figure out what your life purpose is.

   The presenter continued by saying, just take a look at all your daily activities, your work/job, your volunteer tasks and community involvement, your hobbies and pretty much every area of your life.  Then imagine that you were told you could only do 1 of those activities for the rest of your life, and you had to quit everything else.  What would you choose?

   The presenter said she would choose writing, and that’s how she knows it’s her life purpose.  Note, she didn’t choose a specific type of writing or even a genre.  Our life purpose isn’t something that is very specific, nor is there only one “right” way to express it.

   I found that little exercise interesting because I have personally lived it, in a manner of speaking.  Ten and a half years ago when I had my total physical collapse, I was faced with having to literally give up everything I was doing in my life. 

   I had to leave my job at the library, I had to resign from every board I was a member of, I had to quit teaching yoga, I ended up having to put a long pause on many of my hobbies, and virtually every area of my life was affected as I spent many hours in bed unable to do anything.

   The one thing I didn’t give up, and refused to give up under any circumstances, was publishing this newspaper. 

   It wasn’t easy to keep going as there were many challenges across the board, and I needed help with the deliveries, but I knew that publishing the paper was vital to my health and wellbeing (even if I was on death’s doorstep at the time).

   Another way of looking at this question, is to ask what gets you out of bed each morning.  We all have something that keeps us going even when life falls apart.  What is yours?

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjwcShwZGEq9YDWpCYInFuTLsrHzPJG3/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 21 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

And, if you are looking for a unique gift idea, please visit: https://thechautauquanewspaper.blogspot.com/p/products-for-sale.html

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua