Friday 1 December 2023

December 1, 2023 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Sigh...as costs continue to rise, especially the cost of paper and printing, I found myself faced with a very difficult decision.  

   The printing costs are currently 3/4s of the overall expenses, so in order to continue printing the paper, I have to make some changes.  I will not be going completely online due to the unpredictable whims of the online world.  And, there remains something special about a physical newspaper, especially for those of us who rebel a little with more going online..

   The incredibly tough decision I made was that I will no longer be publishing the council minutes for Alix, Bashaw, Clive after January 5, 2024.  I know some people enjoy reading the minutes, and you will be able to continue reading them, just in other ways, if you desire.

   This was a tough decision because when I took over the paper in 2002 from Linda VanRingen, the council minutes were included.  I continued to print them for free as a community service.  Otherwise the municipalities would have had to pay $560 PER issue to have them included.

   While I would love to increase the number of pages of the paper (sadly not an option with current printing costs), I have not able to currently include as much as I’d like from our various communities as the council minutes take up such a significant chunk of the paper.  Without the minutes, there will be space to showcase other community news

   Also, in the event that my only other option to keep going is to drop down to 8 pages (must be in multiples of 4 pages), it will be easier without the council minutes - which cover close to 4 pages now.

   It is my sincere desire that not only will you continue to read and support the Chautauqua once the minutes are no longer printed, but that the communities and their organizations will continue to submit their ads, news and happenings so that we can all continue to support each other.  

   As the bulk of the paper’s income comes from ads and donations, I greatly appreciate any financial support, as I continue to publish.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KUgu-JyE6yxYxo9HtuaEy_HGJ7MlyWp3/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 21 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

And, if you are looking for a unique gift idea, please visit: https://thechautauquanewspaper.blogspot.com/p/products-for-sale.html

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua