Friday 2 August 2024

August 2, 2024 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Sigh…………………………………..

   It has been an intense couple of weeks for me.  Between the heat warnings, humidity and wildfire smoke, my poor body has been pretty stressed.  Thankfully, I have been doing better than the previous two summers when I spent the heat warning days in extreme pain and was unable to even get out of bed.  Thank goodness for ice cream - the ONLY reason I’m still going.

   In addition, I faced some difficult choices regarding this paper.

   In the past, I have always been able to keep my expenses paid in full, and on time.  Last year, when the printing increases started, I made adjustments so I was able to keep things going as I’d always done.

   Then this year!  Increases continued across the board, not just the printing, even as I struggled to cut costs to keep my expenses manageable.  Added to that, Canada Post service has dramatically gone downhill.  For example, it took a MONTH for a cheque mailed in Alix to reach me here in Mirror!  And, some payments still haven’t arrived!

   One advantage of these two very anxious weeks, when I had NO idea if I was going to be able to continue The Chautauqua in print form as the press threatened to stop printing till my arrears are paid, is that I have looked at other options (I still have the best press and printing price!), I’ve connected with new people, and am looking at alternate forms of funding (there “may” be a grant I qualify for? Fingers crossed)

   I will continue to publish in print as long as I can, and I thank you all for your loyalty, support and patience as I navigate this rocky patch.

Beth


Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AfIX2EpnHOYt51dSGSiIre5AoGG9vKc/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 22+ years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua