Friday 15 September 2023

September 15, 2023 Chautauqua

Beth's Ponderings

   Autumn is almost here, and I feel like I’ve been harvesting my garden for weeks!

   I only had 2 cups of cherries this year, so hopefully next year is better.  The raspberries and apples were all picked the middle of August.  The potatoes were all dug the 20th of August, and the beets all pulled September 2nd.  Beans were eaten by the deer before I could get to them!  I still have some carrots and melons to bring in (at the time of this writing)

   I made juice out of the rhubarb and apples.  I froze half of the raspberries.  My niece and I grated up the potatoes and made hash browns that I froze.  I made sweet sliced pickles, relish and beet pickles.

   I’ve been enjoying corn on the cob for supper most evenings, and fresh veggies through the days.  As fun as it can be to preserve the food, and it is nice to have a taste of summer during the winter, it is even better to enjoy the garden bounty when it is fresh, and not save it all for a distant day.

   How often do we put off enjoying a moment when we’re right smack dab in it, instead hoping for when the moment may return at the later date and promising to enjoy it then?

   How many times have we looked back after a moment has passed and wished that we were more present at the time?

   Life is made up of moment after moment after moment.  And, yes, many of them may seem to be dull and insignificant, but it is usually only in hindsight that we can know how meaningful a moment really was.

   Life happens, and we get busy with everything, but even then, we can always pause for just a minute or two and look around us and really notice what is going on.  Who are you with?  Where are you?  What do you see, hear, smell, taste, touch?  What do you want to capture in your memory from this moment in time?

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TJbM5FSEav6e5t2K1IMH7RVjcH394PV1/view?usp=sharing


 Whether you've enjoyed reading The Chautauqua from the first issue 21 years ago, are a brand new reader, or somewhere in between, I sincerely hope that The Chautauqua has enriched your life, as much as it has enriched mine publishing it.  If you would like to help ensure it continues to enrich others like yourself, I ask you to please consider making a donation to The Chautauqua. There are three methods available:   

Mail a cheque or money order (made out to Beth Richardson – Chautauqua) to Box 261 Mirror, AB T0B 3C0 

E-transfer to thechautauqua@gmail.com 

PayPal at https://paypal.me/thechautauqua (note: you will need to sign into PayPal first, and then specify the amount) 

   Your support and kindness is always greatly appreciated, and I look forward to continuing to bring joy and inspiration to you with each issue. Thank you so much and have a marvellous day!

And, if you are looking for a unique gift idea, please visit: https://thechautauquanewspaper.blogspot.com/p/products-for-sale.html

Contact The Chautauqua via email: thechautauqua@gmail.com or via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheChautauqua